Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Perfect Chocolate Cake

I have changed the way I eat in the last 3 months, so I haven't posted very many desserts.  If you are going to eat desserts, make sure they are worth the calories. If I need something sweet, I usually have one square of a Hershey's dark chocolate bar. As of this writing, I have lost 11 pounds. It has taken me 3 months to get here and I won't blow it with this cake.  Just a small piece is all I needed.



Printable Version
Ingredients for Cake:
1 cup cocoa powder                                    2 2/3 cup flour
1 cup butter                                                 2 cups boiling water
2 1/2 cups sugar                                          2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda                            1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs                                                          1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Whipped Cream Filling      
For cake:
Combine cocoa and boiling water. Stir until smooth, and set aside.  Cream butter, and gradually add sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, making sure it is incorporated before adding another egg.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with cocoa mixture that has cooled slightly. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter in 3- 9" or 8" baking pans.
Bake 350 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Spread whipped Cream Filling between cooled layers. Spread Chocolate Frosting on top and sides.
Ingredients for Filling:
1 cup whipped cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup powdered sugar
Beat whipped cream until foamy. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until soft peaks form.
Ingredients for Frosting:
1 package semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup of half and half
3/4 cup butter
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar.
Combine 1st three ingredients in cooking pan. Cook stirring until chocolate chips and butter melt. Remove from heat and add powdered sugar. Beat like crazy. Set in ice and beat at a low speed. This icing gets a little hard for my taste, so I will probably use a different icing next time I make it.
         

No comments: