Monday, October 26, 2015

Slow Cooker pot roast

I found this recipe in the Austin or San Antonio food section. I get both papers and I forgot to copy where I got the recipe. If anyone reads this and knows the answer to which paper, I would be glad to give them full credit. I have another slow cooker pot roast recipe, but thought this one sounded healthier.  This will probably replace my other recipe as my go-to pot roast.



Printable Version
Ingredients:
1 - 3-4 pound beef chuck roast, trimmed of fat (I did not do this)
3 cups beef broth
6 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped in chunks
4 ribs celery, rinsed and chopped in chunks
3 potatoes peeled, and cut into chunks
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 onions, chopped in chunks
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs thyme
3 tablespoons cold water
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon cornstarch
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions:
1. In a small cup, stir together cornstarch and 3 tablespoons cold water until no lumps remain
2. Pour cornstarch mixture into slow cooker and add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and potatoes (I added the potatoes--the recipe does not call for them.)
3. Mix together to make sure everything is thoroughly coated.
4. Season your roast generously with salt and pepper. Rub all over with Worcestershire sauce
5. Transfer roast to slow cooker and place on top of vegetables. Pour beef broth over roast and cook on low for 10-12 hours, or high for 5-7 hours.(I cooked my roast on top of the stove for about 3 minutes per side to brown it. I just think that makes for a better presentation)
6. Let roast rest 10 minutes before slicing thinly. Transfer veggies to serving platter and serve cooking liquids with the roast. We did not slice the meat. It was so tender, we just took off chunks of the meat.

No comments: