1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, cleaned and cut into halves or thirds
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 cup minced shallots
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
9-10 ounce package crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup half and half
1/2 teaspoon salt
freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Throw the green beans in and cook for 4 minutes.
- Drain and shock the beans in an ice water bath; set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of the shallots and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Allow the shallots to caramelize and brown, but don't burn them!
- Remove the skillet from heat and add the butter, allowing it to melt.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the shallots and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the rest of the shallots and cook, stirring, for about two minutes.
- Next, the mushrooms. Throw all of them into the skillet and cook for about five minutes more, stirring often, till the mushrooms are browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Continue stirring while the flour cooks into the mushrooms for about a minute.
- Slowly pour in the broth, whisking as you go to get out any lumps and to pick up the delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Once the broth is incorporated, add the half and half and sage and stir to combine.
- Allow the mixture to come to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer till thickened, usually a few minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the green beans into the mushroom mixture and fold together.
- Pour the green beans and mushroom sauce into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top.
- Slide the baking dish into the oven and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
- Pull that beauty out of the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.