Friday, January 24, 2014

Great Grandma Turano's Meatballs

This recipe comes from Southern Living Magazine. I forgot to take a picture until after we had eaten, so there is no spaghetti on the pate. I served this with a large salad. I only made 1 pound of ground beef and I still had about 18 meatballs left.  I plan to serve it when Bodie and Nicholas come to stay with us.  I'm pretty sure that they will like it.




Printable Version
Ingredients for the Sauce:
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Shake of red pepper flakes
3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1- 16 oz. can tomato paste
2 -15 oz. cans diced tomatoes pureed I used both cans because I wanted extra sauce
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
Handful of basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
Directions:
In a Dutch oven saute'  onion, garlic, and pepper flakes in oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and sugar. Mash the paste into the onion mixture 1-2 minutes. Add 1 tomato paste can of water.(I didn't do this) Stir well. Add tomato puree (I put the diced tomatoes in a blender and pureed until smooth), oregano, fennel seeds, thyme and basil. Simmer over low heat several hours.  Add water as needed.  I put the sauce and cooked meatballs in the crockpot on high for 2 1/2 hours.
Ingredients for the Meatballs: I cut this recipe for the meatballs in 1/2
2 pounds ground beef
2 eggs
salt and pepper
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 cup parsley
olive oil for frying
1 cup Parmesan
fennel seeds
Directions for Meatballs:
Mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined. Roll into balls and set aside. In a large skillet fry in oil in batches. Place in simmering sauce. Simmer 30 minutes. Serve over pasta with lots of cheese.
Sherry's variation:
I made the meat into balls and placed them on a cookie sheet. I baked them in a 400 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes.  Then I placed them in the crockpot with the sauce.

No comments: