Monday, July 30, 2012

Casarita's Poblano Cream Sauce

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   This recipe was in The Express News of San Antonio and it was from Casarita's Mexican Restaurant.
I cut this recipe in 1/2 and I still have enough for many more meals of grilled chicken with poblano cream sauce.  I may freeze it and see how it does when I warm it.


Makes 6 cups or 12 (1/2-cup) servings.







Ingredients:
5 fresh poblano peppers, roasted, stemmed and peeled
5 fresh poblano peppers, coarsely chopped ( I just used 2 roasted peppers)
1 quart heavy cream (I used a pint)
1/2 cup white wine (I didn't use this; I used chicken stock)
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter (I used about 1/2 of a stick of butter)
5 bay leaves(I used 2)
3 tablespoons dried thyme (I used 1 tablespoon)
1 1/2 tablespoons chicken base or bouillon  (I used 2 bouillon cubes)
1/2 cup tomatillo (green tomato) sauce (canned is fine) (I didn't measure, I just used 1/2 of a small can)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
Place roasted and fresh poblano peppers in a blender and process until smooth. In a large saucepan, bring the heavy cream, wine, and butter to a boil. Add the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in the pureed poblanos. Whisk in the chicken base and tomatillo sauce. Simmer until the sauce has thickened to desired consistency, about 15-20 minutes. Add Parmesan cheese and stir briefly to dissolve. Discard bay leaves. Serve over chicken, pork or seafood.

















No comments: