Friday, January 8, 2016
Stuffed Poblano Peppers
1 package breakfast sausage
4-6 large poblano peppers
1 cup hot cooked rice
1 cup cooked or canned pinto beans ( or black beans) rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
Salsa, sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat grill to medium-high (350 - 400). Meanwhile cook sausage in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 10 minutes, stirring often, until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
2. Grill peppers 5 minutes per side or until charred. Cool slightly. Place peppers in large resealable plastic bag; seal and let stand 5 minutes to loosen skin. Remove charred skin. I put mine in the oven on broil.
3. Cut a 3-inch slit lengthwise into each pepper. Leave tops intact. Remove seeds. Set peppers aside.
4. Stir together sausage, rice, beans, and cheese. Spoon evenly into peppers. Arrange peppers on aluminum foil- lined baking sheet. Place in a 400 degree oven and bake until heated through and cheese melts.
5. Top with salsa and sour cream, if desired.