Monday, April 20, 2015

Flaky Buttermilk Biscuits

My mom used to make homemade biscuits. My grandmother made canned biscuits. I love to go to grandma's house and have canned biscuits.  One day I asked my mom to make canned biscuits and my dad overheard me.  He couldn't believe that I could possibly like canned biscuits better than mom's biscuits.  I get it now, dad.  I was never able to make homemade biscuits until I found this recipe. Now I make them all the time.  They would even meet dad's approval. I found this in a holiday magazine years ago, but it doesn't have the name of the magazine on the page I tore out.  It just says Holiday Cookbook.
Ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
 5 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons honey
Method:
1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2.  Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add butter and knead with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse meal. Chill 10 min. (I didn't do this)
3. Combine buttermilk and honey, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture. Stir until moist.(I just added the buttermilk and honey separately, stirring until moist.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 3 times. Roll dough into a 1/2 inch thick 9" X 5" rectangle. Cut with biscuit cutter and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and and enjoy.

No comments: