Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Shrimp Enchiladas

Bill "Sling' Slingerland won first place and $1,000 in grocery coupons from H.E.B. at the Aransas Pass Shrimporee Seafood Cook-off several years ago.






Ingredients: Makes about 20 enchiladas
1 1/2 pounds cooked shrimp, chopped
1 poblano pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1 can Cream of Shrimp soup
2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese, divided
20 corn tortillas
1 cup water
3 cans salsa verde
additional grated Monterrey Jack cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter in skillet, add onions and saute' until clear, then add poblano peppers and cook until soft. Add shrimp and soup. Take off heat. Stir in cheese. Soften tortillas by steaming them over hot water. Fill tortillas with spoonful of filling. Foll and lay in a 9" X 13" pan that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray. After pan is full, about 20 enchiladas, cover enchiladas with green sauce (salsa verde), then sprinkle with additional cheese. Add dollops of sour cream if desired. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
This makes about 5 enchiladas
Note: When I made it this time, I was only making it for two people. I did not have a poblano pepper or cream of shrimp soup, so this is what I did.   I added about 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan. When the butter was melted, I added about 3 tablespoons of onions chopped.  After they were soft, I added 1 tablespoons of flour, stirring it until incorporated. Then I added about 1 cup of half and half along with uncooked shrimp. After about 2 minutes, I added two handfuls of fresh spinach.  I softened the tortillas in the microwave for 20 seconds.  I put about two tablespoons of filling in each of the 5 tortillas and rolled them placing them in the prepared baking dish. Top it with the salsa verde sauce and then the cheese. I did not add the sour cream this time and I only used 1/4 pound of shrimp. It was plenty for the two of us.

No comments: