Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Fish Sticks from Scratch

I found this recipe in the Austin American Statesman. You can find it Here  Jud has mentioned in the past that he had fish stick growing up. When I saw this recipe I knew I needed to make them to revisit a memory.  These were so much better than I even hoped.  I used cod for my fish of choice.  




Ingredients:
4 slices bread ( or panko bread crumbs)
Thick milk white fish fillets such as cod, halibut, or haddock
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 pinches of salt and fresh ground white pepper (I just used black pepper)
1 large egg white
4 teaspoons oil, for cooking  ( I used my deep fryer so I used more oil)
Directions:
1. To make the fish sticks, put the fish in the freezer for 1 hour to make it easier to cut into pieces.
2. To make bread crumbs, preheat oven to 200 degrees. Cut bread into pieces and lay them on a baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes until crispy and dry. Turn the bread into crumbs in a food processor.
3. Place flour in a shallow cake pan and mix with salt and pepper.
4. Place egg white in another cake pan and beat it lightly with a fork.
5. Place bread crumbs in a third cake pan.
6. Using a sharp knife, cut the frozen fish into sticks about 3 1/2 inches long and 1 inch wide.
7. Coat the fish sticks first in the flour, then in the egg white, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
8. Pour oil into a skillet and fry the fish sticks for 5 minutes on each side over high heat until they are golden and cooked through.
9. Drain the fish sticks on paper towels and serve them hot with tartar sauce and red sauce.
* Note - I used a Fry Daddy and it only had to cook about 2 minutes. I fried 4 at a time.

No comments: