Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Our Best Chicken-fried Steak

I cut this out of a magazine years ago, but I can't find where I got it.  I think it might have been "Cooking Lite." This is not a very light recipe, so that makes me wonder where I got it. 







Ingredients:
2 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1 3/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
4 (4oz.) cube steaks
38 saltine crackers (1 sleeve) crushed I used Ritz crackers because that is what I had
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
4 3/4 cups milk, divided
21 large eggs
3 1/2 cups peanut oil  I used Canola Oil
Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
Directions:
Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper evenly over steaks. Combine cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, red pepper, and baking powder. Whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs. Dredge steaks in cracker mixture, dip in milk mixture, and dredge again in cracker mixture. At this point, I set the steaks aside for about 15 minutes.  When I was ready to cook them, I dredged them again in the flour mixture.

Pour oil into a 12-inch skillet; heat to 360 degrees (Do not use a nonstick skillet.) Fry steaks 3-4 minutes. Turn and fry 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove steaks to a wire rack in a jelly-roll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.

Whisk together remaining 4 cups milk, 1/4 cup flour, remaining 1 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1 teaspoon black pepper. Add milk mixture to reserved drippings in skillet; cook, whisking constantly, over medium high heat 10-12 minutes or until thickened. Serve gravy with steaks. Garnish, if desired.
I make my gravy by adding flour to the drippings in the skillet and cooking over medium-high heat until dark brown. Then I add the milk, salt, and pepper whisking until thickened.

No comments: