Friday, February 10, 2012

Indian Creamed Spinach & Roasted Root Vegetables

Jud made some bbq thighs out on the grill and I made the sides. I have always loved creamed spinach and this is a little different in the addition of coriander and cumin. I put these in individual bowls so the cream wouldn't spread all over the plate.  Roasting vegetables are my favorite way to prepare almost any vegetable. Could that be, because Jud usually grills them outside in our grill pan.
 



Ingredients for Creamed Spinach
1 tablespoon butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
2 bunches (10-12oz. each) spinach, washed and dried very well
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup whipping cream
Method:
1. In a 5-quart Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes, or untiltender. Add ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, and ground red pepper. Cook 1 minute
2. Increase heat to high. Add spinach and salt; cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes, just until spinach wilts. Stir in cream and boil 2 minutes, until thickened.
Ingredients for Roasted Vegetables:
You can use almost any vegetable that you like. I used butternut squash and cauliflower. I used only as much as I would eat in one meal (1/2 cauliflower and 1/2 small butternut squash)
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste. 
Method:
I usually cut-up the vegetables into bite-size portions and place in a large bowl. Then I add about 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil , salt and pepper.  I use my hands to make sure all the vegetables have some oil on them.  Then I spread them out onto a large baking sheet. Cook 400 degrees about 20-30 minutes. This will depend on how many vegetables and how small you cut your vegetables.

No comments: