Monday, February 27, 2012

Chicken with Mango Barbecue Sauce

This is one of the very best barbecue sauces I have ever made.  Jud said I needed to bottle it and sell it. I think I will just give you the recipe and I predict you will find all kinds of things to put it over.  I have 3/4 of a pint jar left and I plan to grill a pork tenderloin next week and use this sauce. Outstanding!  The recipe comes from Ellie Krieger - The Food you Crave






Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup) I had about 10 green onions that I needed to use
1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped ( about 1 tablespoon)
1 teaspoon salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses (Not sure mine is unsulfured)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup no salt added tomato sauce
1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and diced (about 1 1/2 cup)
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
8 boneless chicken breasts (I just made enough for Jud and me)
cooking spray

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring a few times, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, garlic, salt, black pepper, and allspice. Cook stirring for 2 minutes more. Stir in vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire, lime juice, and tomato sauce. Cook for 1 minute more. Transfer the mixture to a blender and add the mango and jalapenos. Blend until smooth.  Put about 2 cups of the barbecue sauce in a large sealable plastic bag with the chicken and marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator. Reserve the rest of the sauce for serving. Since I only used 5 chicken tenders, I only used about 3/4 cup of the sauce for the marinade.
Prepare the grill or spray a grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the sauce, discarding the sauce in the bag. Grill the chicken just until cooked all the way through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve the chicken with reserved sauce on the side.

No comments: