Monday, May 16, 2011

Herb and Goat Cheese-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

I served this stuffed chicken with broccoli and red pepper couscous.  It was great!  I cut the recipe in 1/2 for Jud and me.
Cooking Light - April 2011




Printable Recipe:
https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/stuffed-chicken-breast---1

Ingredients:
1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (I have both of these in my herb garden) Use whatever you have
1 (4oz) package goat cheese
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1/4 teaspoon crush red pepper
1 (10oz package fresh spinach
Lemon wedges (optional)
1. Preheat broiler to high.
2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut a horizontal slit through thickest portion of each breast half to form a pocket. Stuff 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture into each pocket; close opening with a wooden pick. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
3. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan. Add chicken to pan, and cook for 2 minutes on 1 side or until browned. Arrange chicken on a baking sheet (browned side up); broil for 8 minutes or until done. I broiled it for about 4 min. on the browned side and then decided that I wanted to turn the chicken and brown it 4 minutes on the other side. I thought this made for a more even browning.
4. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, red pepper, and spinack; cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
I didn't have enough spinach to make the spinach dish, so I took the olive oil and wilted the red pepper for a few minutes and then added about 1 cup of fresh spinach. After the spinach was wilted, I set it aside.  I made the couscous by bringing 1 cup chicken broth to a boil. Then I added 1 cup couscous, and a little salt and 1 tablespoon of butter.  Turn the heat off and cover with a lid.  After about 5 minutes of letting the couscous set, I added the spinach and red pepper.

No comments: