Friday, July 16, 2010

Raspberry-Chipotle Sauce

Chet Rawie found this recipe for me and I have been making it every year when I go to Oregon.
It tastes very similar to the one we buy from Fredricksburg, except I use fresh raspberries so I think it is better.  I triple this recipe, but doubling it would mean you would only have to buy one bottle of raspberry vinegar.  We put it on grilled chicken and grilled pork tenderloin.  Can't wait!
This recipe is adpated from Emeril's Kitchen.

Printable Recipe:

https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/raspberry-chipotle-sauce


Ingredients:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup onions, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons chipotle chilies in adobo, chopped
2 pints fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/2 cup raspberry vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring until soft and slightly carmelized, 4 minutes.
Add garlic to the pan and saute for 1 minute.
Add the chipotles and cook, stirring continuously for 1 min.
Add the raspberries and cook until soft, 2-3 minutes.
Add the vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan. Add the sugar and salt, and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until thickened and reduced by half, 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and cool before using. Since I triple it, it will take longer. I just wait for it to be reduced by 1/2.
For a clear glaze, strain through a fine mesh strainer, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible. I do not strain it.  We like the texture of the raspberries.

No comments: