Thursday, July 29, 2010

Blueberry-Raspberry Pound Cake

Stacy and Bodie are coming today so it is no surprise that I am cooking.  I can remember so well when I was younger and would go see my mom she would do the same. Even if I told her I was trying to diet and please don't make any sweets, she wouldn't have it.  Now, I totally understand. Cooking was her way to show me she loved me.  Isn't it funny how we begin to understand our parents as we get older.
This recipe is from Molly Wizenberg, of "A Homemade Life."

Printable Recipe:

https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/blueberry-raspberry-pound-cake

Ingredients:
2 cups plus 8 Tablespoons cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 large eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, diced, at room temperature
2 Tablespoons kirsch ( I had some cherry brandy and almond liquor so I used 1 T. of each)
1 cup blueberries, rinsed and dried well
1 cup raspberries, rinsed and dried well
Directions:
Set oven rack to the middle position, and preheat to 300 degrees F.
Butter a standard-sized 9-cup Bundt pan and dust it with flour, shaking out any excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together 2 cups plus 6 Tablespoons flour, baking powder, and salt.
In the bowl of a food processor (I used my mixer), blend the eggs and sugar until thick and pale yellow. Add the butter and kirsch, and blend until the mixture is fluffy, about 1 min, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl. If the mixture looks curdled, don't worry. Add the dry ingredients and process to just combined. Do not overmix. The batter should be thick and very smooth. In a large bowl, toss the berries with the remaining 2 Tablespoons flour. Pour the batter over the berries, and using a rubber spatula, gently fold to combine, taking care that all the flour is absorbed. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan, spreading it evenly across the top. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the cake's center comes out clean, 1 hour- 1 1/4 hours. Transfer the cake to a rack, and cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Carefully invert the cake out of the pan onto the rack, and cool for at least 20 minutes before slicing. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

No comments: