Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sagaponack Corn Pudding

I love this corn pudding and make it often.  It is a winner! It is easily cut in 1/2 which I do often. It still makes enough for Jud and me to have 2-3 meals. As you can see, I served pea salad and pork tenderloin. I think the grilled pork tenderloin is under Jud's pork tenderloin. I may never make another corn pudding.  From Barefoot Contessa -  Family Style Cookbook



Printable Recipe:

https://sites.google.com/site/whatscookingattheedwards/sagaponack-corn-pudding


Ingredients:
1/2 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter
5 cups of fresh corn kernels cut off the cob (6-8 ears)  I used frozen corn this time
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
4 extra-large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup ficotta cheese
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup (6 oz) grated extra-sharp Cheddar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease the inside of an 8-13 cup baking dish.  Melt the butter in a large skillet. Saute' the corn and onions over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.  Whisk together the eggs, milk, and half-and-half in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal and then the ricotta. Add the basil, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the cooked corn mixture and grated Cheddar, and then pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle the top with more grated cheddar cheese.  Place the dish in a larger pan and fill the pan 1/2 up the sides of the dish with hot tap water. Bake the pudding for 40-45 minutes, until the top begins to brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve warm.  This time I had some fennel left over from another dish that I had made last week. I didn't want to waste it so I used that instead of onion. It was delicious.

No comments: