Saturday, January 9, 2010

Chicken with Lemon-Caper Sauce


This is a fairly quick meal, as it only takes about 8 min. to brown the chicken and not much longer to make the lemon-caper sauce. It is a meal I would not hesitate to make for company. I served rice as my side dish, but I added about 1 Tablespoon olive oil into a pan and cooked about 1 Tablespoon of shallot. Then I added about 1 teaspoon minced garlic to the pan. Cook until soft and then add rice (however much you need for your family) I used 1/2 cup rice. Let this cook in the pan for about 2-3 min. and then add twice as much beef stock as you used of rice. Cover and cook until all the liquid has dissolved. Then throw in a handful of english peas and turn off the heat. Cover again until ready to serve.  Recipe comes from allrecipes.com


Ingredients:
salt
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 (6oz) skinless, boneless chicken breasts                        
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut in pieces
2 Tablespoons olive oil                
2 lemon wedges
Mix together salt and flour in a small dish or plastic bag, then coat chicken and shake off excess flour. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken in hot oil until both sides are golden-brown, and the inside has turned white and firm, 3-4 minutes per side.  Remove the chicken, and set aside in a warm place. Pour white wine into the skillet, and allow to boil as you dissolve the cooked bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the lemon juice, and allow to come to a boil, cook for a few minutes until reduced by half.
Sprinkle the cubed butter into the boiling sauce. Swirl and shake the pan vigorously to dissolve the butter, thus thickening the sauce. The butter must never come to a rest, or the sauce will separate and become oily. Once the butter has completely incorporated, remove from heat and stir in capers. To serve, pour lemon-caper sauce over the chicken, and serve with a wedge of lemon.  I had some lemon-caper sauce left over last time I made this and I froze it for several months.  Tonight, I took it out of the freezer and allowed to thaw for several hours. When I was ready to serve, I placed the sauce in a sauce pan and heated over medium-low heat. It was just as good this time.

No comments: