Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Mozzarella Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

I found this recipe in my recipe box. but didn't note where I got it.  I tried to google it so that I could give credit to the person who I copied. It could be Nigella Lawson, but I couldn't find it.










Mozzarella Meatballs with Tomato Sauce

Ingredients for Sauce:
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
6 oz. pancetta, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch red pepper flakes
1 can crushed tomatoes
3/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Ingredients for Meatballs:
2/3 cup + 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 large egg
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 oz mozzarella, smoked and cubed
3/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1/3 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Ketchup
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound ground beef
1 lb. bucatini - (long pasta) As you can see in the picture, I used little shells, because that is what I had.
Directions for the Sauce:  Heat oil in the pan and add pancetta. Cook 5-7 minutes. Remove pancetta and set aside. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, and red pepper flakes - 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, and pancetta. Simmer 15 minutes. Stir in cheese and season with more salt and pepper to taste.
Directions for Meatballs:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray for easy clean-up. Combine onion, 1/2 cup parsley, 2/3 cup Parmesan, bread crumbs, egg, Ketchup, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Add meat. Combine and make into meatballs. Make a depression in the center and place a cube of mozzarella. Bake 15 min in the lower 1/3 of the oven.  Cook Pasta. Drain and add to the sauce. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and serve the meatballs separately.

No comments: