Friday, October 26, 2012

Boeuf A La Forester















This sounds like a really fancy dish, but it is really just swiss steak. It does have a few additions that swiss steak doesn't have.  The recipe on the right is company green beans.  I really like making these. I usually use canned whole green beans, but I had some fresh green beans, so I used those.
Ingredients for Boeuf A La Forester:
2 pounds round steak
flour, salt, butter
1 cup canned tomatoes
2 cans mushrooms I used 16oz. fresh mushrooms
1 bay leaf
6 whole allspice
1 cup red wine
Slice meat in 1/2 inch strips and dredge in flour. Melt several pats of butter to cover the bottom of the heay skillet and brown the meat. Add tomatoes and mushrooms. Cook a few minutes longer. Transfer to a 1 1/2 quart casserole and add bay leaf, allspice, and wine. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. After pouring the meat into the casserole pan, I deglazed the skillet with the wine. Then I poured that in the casserole baking dish.

Ingredients for Green Beans:
Wrap 6-8 green beens in 1/2 slice of bacon. Secure with a toothpick and place in a baking pan.
Simmer 1/2 stick oleo and 1 clove garlic. Take off the burner and add 1/3 cup brown sugar. Pour this mixture over green beans. Bake uncovered 1 hour. When it is just Jud and me, I usually only make about 6 bundles. If you are making it for more people you will probably need to use a whole stick of butter and bake it for 1 1/2 hours.

No comments: