Sunday, February 13, 2011
Chocolate Griddle Cakes
1/2 cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 whole large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1. Sift together cocoa, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl, then whisk in eggs, yolk, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until combined well.
2. Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over moderately low heat and lightly coat with butter.
3. Working in batches of 2-3, pour 1/4 cup batter per cake onto hot griddle; cook until bubbles appear and surface, 1-2 minutes. Flip cakes with a large spatula; cook until tops spring back when pressed gently, about 1 minute more.
4. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil to keep warm Add 1/2 teaspoon butter to griddle between batches.
Bring 1 cup heavy cream to a boil in a 1-quart saucepan. Pour over 7 oz. bittersweet chocolate in a bowl. Whisk uintil smooth. Keep warm or at room temperature.
5. Decorate with fruit such as bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and drizzle with chocolate sauce. Yum!