I really enjoyed this cake tonight. It is very lemony and refreshing. It was in May 2008 Cooking Light.
Ingredients for cake:
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour for baking pans
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
2 Tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Ingredients for icing:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 Tablespoon lemon zest
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Prepare pans by coating 2 round cake pans with cooking spray; line the bottoms of pan with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray. Dust pan with 2 Tablespoons flour, and set aside.
3. Lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine 2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.; stir with a whisk.
4. Place granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and non-fat buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat in 2 Tablespoons lemon zest and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
5. Pour batter into prepared pans; sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees for 32 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans. Cool completely on wire rack; remove wax paper from cake layers.
6. To prepare icing, combine powdered sugar and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread 1/2 of icing on top of cake. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining 1`/2 of icing over top of cake. I had enough icing to ice the sides as well.